Thai Red Curry (Kaeng Phet, แกงเผ็ด)
This Thai curry recipe (kaeng phet) uses store-bought red curry paste. It makes a delicious vegan meal in less than 30 minutes with simple ingredients.
Servings: 3 generous bowls
Cost: $2.10 per bowl
- 1 tsp cooking oil 5 g
- 1 yellow onion 200 g
- 3 tbsp red curry paste 50 g
- 1 can coconut milk 400 mL or 300 g; see Notes
- 2 cups any combination of bell pepper, broccoli, carrot, eggplant 200 g; see Notes
- 1 package firm or extra-firm tofu 350–450 g
- 2 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar 25 g *optional
- 1/2 tbsp vegan fish sauce 7 g *optional
- steamed rice for serving
- fresh lemon or lime for serving
- Thai basil or sliced scallions for serving
Prep the veggies: dice the onion and chop the other vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
Pour oil into a wok or large skillet on medium heat.
Add diced onion and saute for at least five minutes or until soft and translucent.
Stir in the red curry paste and coconut milk. Saute for half a minute.
Add the vegetables and tofu. Give everything a mix, bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Optional: mix in sugar and fish sauce.
Turn off heat and serve over steamed rice, garnished with slices of lemon or lime and basil or scallion.